Monday, August 22, 2005

Pipes, pipes, and more pipes...

Today I have spent all the afternoon designing the hydraulic diagram of the system.
I Intend that the two 2” main lines that come out of both overflow boxes get to the first compartment of the sump, which has the pump that supplies the skimmer.

I have thought of creating a redundant backfeed circuit with two pumps that would work alternating every week. Moreover, I want to place a water flow sensor so that if a pump fails, it connects the other pump immediately, and starts an alarm sign. Of the backfeed circuits I intend to create, one shall have a inserted chiller, and the second one shall have the ultraviolet germicide.

As these get to the tank, both circuits shall be mixed with a mixing tube, and shall inject water to the rear and the bottom parts of the aquarium.

The “close loop” I intend to make shall have pumps at the bottom of the aquarium to avoid needless sections of pipe that reduce the water flow to be moved.

In addition, in one of the recirculating circuits, I shall place a valve with outlet to the drain system so that I can empty the aquarium easily when I need to do a water change.

I have calculated all the pipeline taking into consideration the flows provided by the pump and the sump line manufacturer. Despite it may seem exaggerated, I have preferred to install a 2” pipe to let out coming water run by gravity towards the sump with the least possible friction.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home